Friday, October 1, 2010

One Year Homecoming Day

Shortly after I began dating the man that I know call my husband he told me that I couldn't take a bad picture. If he only knew. When I was preteen age I stopped smiling for pictures, any pictures, including my school picture. My Grandpa on the phone told me that if I didn't smile in pictures he wouldn't be able to tell if I was happy. He wanted his eldest Grandchild happy! I have so many fond memories with my Grandpa, he and my Grandma have made sure of that. They spoiled my sister and I with lots of love.

Grandpa had a long drawn out summer of suffering last year. We all knew his time to leave this world was coming fast. Last September I went to NY and visited with him from his hospital bed side. I kissed his sweet glowing bald head one final time and held his dear withering hand for a few last moments, knowing it was my goodbye. After this visit I waited I knew with every phone call update soon one would be "the one"

On October 1st which in my family marks my Father's birthday I got the call. It was morning, maybe 8ish. I was sitting in this very spot. The moment I saw the caller id and heard my Fathers broken voice I knew. I hung up in a mixture of emotions. Joy for his battle was finally over and grief because I would have kept him forever and maybe even a little laughter because Grandpa got to pick on his son in law one last time by leaving on October 1st.
Just then through my dining room I saw to blue colored cardinals, I rarely see them here. They sat on a phone line or power cord. One flew away. I found that as a sign that he was gone. Grandpa had flown away from his pain on this earth, yes he was leaving behind those he loved, but he would expect one thing from us. A smile, so as he peaks down from heaven he can tell that we are happy.

I love you Grandpa!!!!!!! Happy Homecoming Day, I'll be smiling for you........

No comments:

Post a Comment